Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
      ( 12:44 PM ) Jessica  
It's a week since activation and I'm having a lot of fun with this... what follows is a list of progress bits:

Activation day: everything sounded like beeps, footsteps, voices, etc. At first, there was a delay, I would see them speak and then hear their beep voices. The only 2 things that sounded like they were supposed to sound that day was crinkling paper and music.
          SOMEHOW the pattern of the beeps allowed me to understand people...
          Even people who were previously difficult to lipread.
          I was able to understand almost all people who my son confirmed had accents, except for one man
          that he was not able to understand either.

I don't know when voices sounded like voices instead of beeps, but I think it took a day or two.
Thursday I was able to hear the train, which is about a block away.
Saturday I was able to have a brief conversation with a librarian that I always had trouble understanding.

Monday was my first AV session and I also saw the audiologist and got 3 new maps in my processor.
Monday morning, I heard Cracker meow. Yesterday I heard BleuMaus meow. It's easier to hear if the a/c is not going.

I think I have the processor set to 3 now, so am no longer using the maps from last week.
I need to exchange a few items but need to find out what others find useful. I need to find ways to wear the Neptune comfortably since the processor is off the ear. I have the clip attached and think that I need a 12" cable, maybe shorter (which I thought I ordered, but I have a 12" cable for the Naida, which I don't need.)
I need to decide which other battery to keep, the 110 or the 170. The 170 and 230 weigh the same but the 170 is shorter...

This morning, I woke Evan up by reading to him from a graphics book about Houdini...hopefully that's more pleasant than by being woken up in a more naggy fashion! :)

We're pretty much convinced that the accident Molly (7 or 8 month old puppy) had almost 2 weeks ago left her deaf. Darnit, I want her to be my hearing dog... she is a good size (40ish pounds, I can carry her if I HAVE to), good temperament, very sweet, etc... but if she can't hear the alarm and such, no go... her brother also has a good temperament, but is MUCH taller and at least 50 lbs...

One clue is that she no longer barks... she used to bark a LOT...

I don't HAVE to have a hearing dog to take everywhere...

Yesterday I worked on the Telling Tales exercise on  this site and was only able to do the first one. This morning I tried the Going Shopping exercise and was only able to complete level one twice and it took about 2 minutes and 15 seconds because I needed to repeat over and over and wasn't sure. There is an introductory level which allows me to listen to the sound of the different fruits and vegetables. Words sound very muddled... I am able to hear some breathy sounds!

Labels: , ,

#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger