Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Thursday, August 22, 2013
      ( 5:48 PM ) Jessica  
I've been hard of hearing since I was around 2-1/2 years old and for a long time, my hearing aids have helped me... recently I got my hearing tested & was recommended to go for a cochlear implant evaluation. I went & from what I've heard, i'm not convinced that it would help me enough... the audiologist at the place I went to implied that I can forget about hearing music better...

But wait a minute. All 3 of the info packets from the cochlear implant companies BOAST of how implants can help with music enjoyment... they show people holding ipods or/and mp3 players & one photo shows someone holding a guitar. But wait for this: there are 2 people in the photo & it's not clear which one has a cochlear implant (or both? or neither?) so no idea whether or not a CI can help with music.

The literature just overdoes it on the "pick me, we're the bessssssssssst!!" bit!! 

I love music and have CLEAR memories of being able to hear the music from the commercials. 7 up the uncola... Joe Namath's shaving cream "take it off take it ALL off" (but really looks like "hoff" if one can see the "h" sound on the mouth!) and various theme songs from tv shoes, etc., etc... my life was full of sound & music & my parents played a lot of music... the opera was awful, but I digress...


Overall, she got me wondering, why even think about an implant if it's as bad as she says it is? It seems like I'm getting the total opposite info from the audiologist than from the CI literature from AB, Med El & Cochlear... I know it takes work & if I could have some idea that it would work for me, I would be glad to do the work.


Right around the time of the evaluation, I also got a new phone. I hated the damned thing at first.. HATED it... but made up my mind that I was going to get used to it and would just find other ways to deal with the fact that the email app on my phone SUCKS and I got used to the keypad & just kept telling myself that this would pass once I got used to it. Well, guess what? I did get used to it & got over the few times I was considering trading phones with my youngest & using my old phone (which I can't get any more & have NO clue how long it will be before the charger outlet gives up the ghost & I can't charge the battery on it... neither phone is a smart phone but my phone is smart enough for me: I can read stuff in QIOO format and read news, etc., etc... the key point is: I GOT USED TO IT!! (That said, I recently found out about a new company that I think uses AT&T towers & doesn't charge an ear & an eyetooth... I may switch to it, but I'm still leery of going to Android because of all the security issues... so we'll see.

I know a CI would take work in making it work well... I know the first few weeks of recovering from the surgery would be difficult... I also need to make sure that I either have friends or/and family who could help me through the initial hard parts...


SO if you're reading this & you have a cochlear implant, I'd love to hear from you or see a link to what you've written about your implant experience.
#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger